About the Council of Urban Boards of Education (CUBE)
A message from your CUBE Steering Committee Vice-Chair
Established in 1967 by NSBA's Board of Directors, the Council of Urban Boards of Education (CUBE) is at the forefront in helping urban school districts provide academic excellence for all students. The Steering Committee provides guidance and leadership to carry out the vision of CUBE.
CUBE’s mission is to create opportunities for urban school board leaders to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to be effective policy makers and advocates for excellence and equality in public education. CUBE remains committed to closing the achievement and opportunity gaps, and educating students in racially, ethnically, linguistically, and socio-economically diverse settings. CUBE achieves this mission by providing professional development and learning experiences that are tailored to the needs of urban school districts through the following:
- CUBE Summer Issues Seminar — Your leadership team can roll up their sleeves and join this working session for professionals, and participate in programming aimed at identifying solutions to the problems faced specifically by urban centers.
- CUBE programming at the NSBA ANNUAL CONFERENCE — Your leadership team benefits from specialized CUBE programming along with the professional development provided at NSBA’s yearly national conference.
- CUBE no longer has programming during the NSBA Advocacy Institute in Washington, DC. However, all CUBE Districts are invited to attend this exclusive national political conference. Attendees are given instruction and information on current education issues and other relevant insight into the current political landscape, and are provided time on Capitol Hill to visit with their Congressional leaders.
- CUBE Task Forces — CUBE affiliates tackle complex issues that concern urban districts. Our task forces explore issues including racial isolation, urban school achievement, communication and governance.
- Ongoing Professional Development —CUBE keeps districts current on all fronts through continuous professional development in the form of webinars, The Urban Advocate, The Urban Edge, issue papers, networking, and targeted technical assistance.
In addition to NSBA's CUBE staff, CUBE is supported by the full range of other NSBA staff and resources. The CUBE public education agenda is represented in the Congress, administration, and courts by NSBA's legislative and legal advocacy staffs.
Individual school boards are eligible to participate in CUBE if they are a member of their state school boards association in good standing, and serve a diverse community of any size. Board members and superintendents in CUBE districts receive a full array of services along with the specialized services delivered by NSBA's CUBE staff.
For general inquiries about the CUBE, please e-mail email@example.com.
Looking for more information? See what’s Inside About the Council of Urban Boards of Education (CUBE)
on the right.
For more information about CUBE, check our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you still have questions, feel free to email or call the CUBE staff.