National Black Caucus of School Board Members
In 2007, The National School Boards Association’s Board of Directors established the National Black Caucus of School Board Members as a Council of NSBA to serve as a leader and advocate on issues of achievement for African American Students.
The mission of the Black Caucus is to promote the goals and vision of the National School Boards Association (NSBA) and to provide leadership and a foundation to school board members for student educational opportunities through collaboration with key stakeholders to foster excellence and equity in public education.
Promote and advance equitable educational access and opportunities for African-American children through the active engagement of Caucus members in national dialogue on educational problems, issues and concerns in conjunction with NSBA and other national organizations committed to the continued growth and development of children of color. The National Black Caucus is open to anyone interested in meeting and addressing the educational needs of African American students, is committed to creating a new paradigm to enhance both their educational experiences and academic accomplishments.
National Black Caucus Guiding Principles
- Eliminate Achievement Gap
- Eliminate Dropout Rate
- Increase High School Graduation Rate
- Encourage and Foster Parental Involvement
- Develop a Respectful School Climate
- Create and Maximize the Pathway to Higher Learning
- Challenge Teachers and Administrators to Achieve Student Learning through high expectations
- Implement Education is a Civil Right
- Provide research data behind emerging issues
- Increase and retain membership
National Black Caucus of School Board Members Resource Center
A collection of resources on the state of education for African-American Students featuring data, reports and promising practices that address:
- African American Male Achievement
- Drop Out Rate
- Closing/Narrowing Achievement Gaps
- STEM and African American Students
Looking for more information? See what’s Inside National Black Caucus of School Board Members
on the right.
National Black Caucus Online Enrollment Form
Join the National Black Caucus today! Membership is open to anyone interested in meeting and addressing the educational needs of African-American students. It does this by facilitating informed decision-making and effective communication by and between school board members, their local communities, and national and state school boards associations.